Weather station maintenance...

The other day I got to go out and do some maintenance on a weather station out at the Joubin Islands. As you can see from the map, they are way outside the allowable boating limits, so it was a treat to get to go. A long boat ride, but well worth it. In my previous post I mentioned the Mustang float jackets we wear on the boats. Well because we were going so far out, we had to wear full on float suits. All I could find was an XXL, but I was glad for it later as I could get lots of clothes on under it. It was a cold day.

After doing the maintenance, we went to a place called Dream Island to drop some stuff off at some penguin researcher's plots.

The people I went with are really great. Hannah and Lance are from Idaho, but spend most of their time working in Antarctica and Greenland. Mike lives on a sailboat in Hawaii when he's not working in Antarctica or on NOAA research ships. Another fun day, and I'll just drop a bunch of pics from Hannah's camera of the day...

A good map of the Palmer Station area

Beautiful colors in the sky

Going fast. In a boat.
Mike's world traveling hedgehog

Photo bombed!

Relocating the temperature and humidity sensor

Same same

Hannah

Iceberg

Lance, Mike and me

Dream Island

Lance and Hannah-they're engaged!

Mike

Mike and Lance




Popular posts from this blog

Weekends...

Final post from Antarctica?...

Chchchchanges...